Thursday, February 2, 2012

From the richest to the unhealthiest

How did the richest country in the world become the most unhealthiest? Within a quick span of 50 years, we became top dog in cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity and many other ailments too numerous to mention.The numbers tell the sad story. Over 1.5 million deaths annually. Who's to blame? The agricultural industry? The pharmaceutical companies? The medical system? Junk food corporations that pump out the fast food? Our supermarkets? All of them, if you ask me.

I mean, it's crazy what has become 'normal'. And it's everywhere around us. I recall the horrendous food during my hospital stay. And this is supposed to be a place of healing! Go to a cafeteria in children's schools and you'd be hard pressed to find anything 'natural' and healthy.

So it is easy to see that this state of health deterioration has sneaked into every aspect of our society. I was at a recent health lecture by Dr. Joel Fuhrman (http://www.drfuhrman.com), where he stated that eating healthy is often seen as 'extreme'. But in actuality, he said, the American diet is actually extreme. I'd have to agree. Before I got sick, I thought eating junk food was just fine. Of course, you couldn't get me into a doctor's office to take any tests, because I didn't want to hear something I might not like and have to change. That shortsighted philosophy of denial lasted until some 'change' was forced upon me and I landed in the hospital.
I like to think I learned this life lesson the hard way, but learned nonetheless :)

Ranman dinner picture of the day: King Alaskan Salmon with oregano, avocado, red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, romaine lettuce, radish and pineapple. All organic.

No comments:

Post a Comment